What is Jen doing right now? She...

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Photoshop World 2007 - Vegas

Finally getting the Vegas pics up. The beginning of fall is always a busy time for me and probably everyone else on the planet. I've been busy with all the events that happen during the "school year" and work is picking up too so it's a little crazy...and it's not slowing down anytime soon either. Either way I don't really feel rushed. Last year I remember feeling much more stressed about things but this year I'm not. Maybe it's because I'm more used to things now, or maybe my prayers to appreciate every day and take it slowly are being answered. Life is good :)
We are so blessed to be a part of a job that flies us out to Vegas each year for Photoshop World. It's a huge conference where lots of Photoshop geeks gather and learn little tricks and tips in Photoshop to become even geekier :) We're not ashamed to admit we are definitely geeks too, especially in this field. We have been working in Photoshop for a few years now and each year we learn more and more.

Photoshop (photo editing software) is a program that will never satisfy if you don't let it. You need to be ok with not knowing everything about it and you also need to be reminded that there are about 20,000 different ways to get the same effect. They could teach a whole class on just keyboard shortcuts in the program! I guess in the long run our goal is to find the fastest way to get that effect. People who aren't familiar with Photoshop have no idea how complex it is and how much it can do. I think you find people are either completely blown away by what you can do or really aren't that impressed (because let's face it, our expectations are much higher nowadays...too high I think). Scott and I were just talking today and agreed that as long as you think it's a good photo and it's worth framing...mission accomplished. We usually take out trash cans and things that are distracting so if you can't tell, that's a good thing. Maybe I'm setting the bar a little low for myself. I still have a lot to learn and believe me when I tell you that that bar is much higher than it was this time last year. I don't want to produce low quality images that just look cool. I want to produce the whole process professionally and know what I'm doing and talking about. That doesn't just happen overnight. Luckily, I have a husband who's just as enthusiastic about this as I am (if not more).

The conference is a few days long and it's basically going from one workshop to the next. The great thing is, they give you a HUGE book with all the notes from each class in it so you don't have to go crazy writing notes plus if you miss a class it's all in there. We learned a lot...we even took a class led by a photographer for Kraft Foods who taught us about shooting food. The conference was wonderful and we're excited for the years to come.

In between classes we pretty much just walked around and enjoyed good food and all the hotels. Vegas is such a different place. It's not a place I would go on vacation for sure. It's fun to see the hotels because they are AMAZING! And the shows would be awesome too but they're wicked expensive. There's just a little too much drinking, gambling and sex for my taste. Call me a prude but I don't know...when the side bars open at 10am and there are drinks that are about 4ft tall...I think that's a little excessive. But we don't need to partake and still can enjoy ourselves. It definitely was HOT though...wow. It was about 100 degrees every day. I appreciate Minnesota so much :) Saturday night we tried walking to The Palms hotel because the MTV VMA's were the following night so we thought maybe we would see some stars. Well The Palms is pretty far away from the strip so that didn't happen. The only celebrity we saw was Louis Anderson.

So that's my long description of our trip. Enjoy!

We took lots of pics...


The Excalibur...this is where we stayed!


The Luxor


The Luxor inside


Criss Angel's motorcycle


Ballys


Bellagio


Caesar's Palace


Paris


The Venetian...probably my favorite inside


Star Trek Experience in The Hilton


A "cling-on"? came to our table


The food even looked futuristic


Yup, 10 shots! Probably the biggest drink I've ever seen...I don't know how these people don't pass out.


The Flamingo...there's an outdoor habitat with real flamingos...worth seeing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, so cool i get to read a different headline .... swing swing swing was making me crazy! love the image of the swing now.. you're really crusing right along with your blog!

your vegas story and imagery are awesome. i like it because i understand what you are saying with it and you used the images well, plus i see your processing has greatly improved. i never really thought of you as a "geek" though... just scott, but i guess you could be.

prude? no, i understand what you are saying about that and i feel the same way. vegas isn't called sin city for nothing. it can be overwhelming and offensive. best to learn what you signed up for and try to overlook the rest.

the thing about the flying you out to this conference cracked me up seeing you spent 9 hours trying to accomplish what a 2 hour flight should have been. : )

Midwest LifeShots Photography said...

I just realized that I've never commented on your blog! I can't thank you enough for inspiring me to create my own blog. It is so nice to have an outlet for your thoughts, even if the bulk of mine are about movies :). Seriously though, thank you so much for doing yours. You've done a great job of creating a virtual scrapbook of our lives. You're the best wife, I love you! Oh, by the way...it's Klingon :).

Robin One Photography said...

well there you have it... scott is in love with jen... awww.... that's so sweet!