What is Jen doing right now? She...

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Stand in the place where you work...

When in doubt, take advice from REM. Wow I can't believe I did this! It's a big step and I don't know how it's going to work but as of right now I'm very excited about the whole thing. I have built myself a make-shift standup desk! That's right I'm standing while I type this. Lately I haven't been doing as many virtual tours because I need to be in the office more. Well because of that I've found it very hard to maintain my weight loss success since I'm not moving pretty much at all anymore. I did some research on a standup desk and found a guy who tried a temporary version before making a more permanent solution with shelves. Well we happened to have maybe some of the most perfect solutions for what I was looking for. I actually doubt we'll have to purchase an actual desk because I love this setup so much! I learned that the top of the monitor is supposed to be at eye level and that your arms are supposed to be bent at a 90 degree angle. My set up is almost perfect. It's going to take some time to get used to but I'm very excited about this change.

After doing research I found out that you burn one extra calorie per minute when standing...doesn't seem like a lot but that definitely adds up. I also learned that it's better for your posture, productivity will likely increase and (of course) you won't fall asleep at your desk. I look at it as a win win situation. Just wait until my dad gets back to the office :) I'll sit only occasionally like when I need to write things down while on the phone, etc... so I'll keep my chair handy. Other than that I plan to stand about 95% of the time. Don't know how hubby feels about it yet because I can peek over at him at any time :) Here are some pics:

Before


In process


After


Me working at my "new" desk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, you're crazy girl! you are going to shrink 10cm per day because of all this standing business... i'm just thinking i'm too lazy to do it so i have to find something wrong with it... i would never want to be any shorter than i already am!