What is Jen doing right now? She...

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Christmas 2007

I haven't been as good about updating the blog lately but hopefully I will be a lot better since we're not as busy anymore. We celebrated Christmas 3 times: once with Scott's side, once with mine and then together. Here's a summary of that week:

Shannon and Jeremy's
On the way to Illinois we stopped at our friends Shannon and Jeremy's house to hang out with them. They were wonderful hosts! We had so much fun playing Rock Band, games and having great food together....plus it was great (as always) to catch up and laugh with them. We stayed the night and watched the Packers vs Bears game. Jeremy is a huge Packers fan and we're big Bears fans so this may have to be an annual thing. Bears won yay!! Then we were on the road to Illinois.




Christmas in Illinois
We spent the week in Illinois as we always do every year. A very much appreciated and restful break from our everyday lives. This year Marcus and Patrick were there for some of the time too. Marcus stayed with them as a foregin exchange student, he's from Brazil. I had actually met him back when Scott and I were dating. Patrick is his friend and they're back in the states because they're going to go to school in Wyoming and decided to spend a few days with his "second family" before heading out there. There are several traditions that we follow every year and I love them. Every Christmas Eve we have a steak dinner before going to the evening service at Uncle Mike's church, there are always 2 big family dinners (that usually take place on the same day) and one of the dinners is always soup and sandwiches which I very much appreciate since you get so stuffed with all that other food! Every time we go to Illinois we always play lots of games, order Monicals pizza and so far for the last 3 Christmas' we've gotten together with our friends Brian and Brittany for games (Brittany is the daughter of Scott's moms best friend). Usually we teach each other games and now they pretty much get the same game for Christmas that we do. We love them and wish we could see them more often...but we love this tradition too! Finally one of my favorite traditions (and one I will do with my children also) is Scott's mom hides our biggest present and then puts clues all over the house. It's like a scavenger hunt. Everyone helps each other out and reads all the clues until after about 4 or 5 you've reached your present. It's always so much fun...Gus likes it too :) We once made clues for his mom and attached a clue to Gus. For a while we nicknamed him "clue 4" We also had fun with Jay and Jennifer...(Scott's brother and girlfriend)...we went to see I Am Legend which I really liked. It was nice to hang out with them we don't get an opportunity to do that often. We spent some time with Spence (nephew...their son). He stayed over one night and we did another tradition...had pancakes in the morning :) Oh and another fun time...my cousin-in-law Angie and I played a little Guitar Hero while her parents and Scott shopped for a new tv. She was a virgin GH player but has now crossed over :) Here are some pics:

Family Pic


Christmas in Illinois...no snow :(


Scott getting the steaks ready


Christmas!




Much to Jay's dismay, Spence got a doll for Christmas :)


A clue!


Scott reading a clue


Spence searches for a clue too




Yeah, clue in the dog food


Marcus finds a clue in the kid's clubhouse




Me and Spence in the clubhouse...he likes to lock me in there


G money




Typical Illinois trip for Gus...they beg because Tuck gives












Christmas in Minnesota
We celebrated Christmas the Sunday before New Years with my side of family. Everyone was there and it was wonderful! Saturday night everyone got there and we just hung out. Kristin and Daniel stayed over at our house which they do every year. Sunday morning was Christmas all over again. Ryan couldn't wait to open presents. I'd say the biggest hit for a present was the kid's digital camera. Abby and Ryan both loved it!! Also, Ryan really liked the hockey stick he got from Matt which paired well (and unintentionally) with the air puck we gave him. The whole day was great, we just hung out with each other, watched Elf, played games, worked on puzzles and talked. Scott and I (mostly Scott) converted all my family's home movies to DVD's and gave that to my parents for Christmas. Needless to say it was a big hit watching past Christmas' and remembering the good ole days. We also sat down to enjoy a slideshow of the vacations we went on this year which was fun too. Oh and Abby can finally say my "name" They call me Auntie and she says "Dauntie" I couldn't get enough of it it was adorable. She is the cutest little thing! On a side note, about 85% of all these pictures were taken with "my" little Kodak camera. Lately it's just not doing anything or anyone justice when I take their picture. So keep in mind these pics are to convey a story, not to enter in a photo contest...I'm very particular so it annoys me that the quality is so bad. Here are some pics:

She wears this hat all the time


Ryan waiting patiently



This looks like something familiar


The beloved camera


Typical scene that day :)


She got it!


Abby taking pictures the wrong way






Hockey time!






Abby found a bug friend and was sad to see him go!




The year ended at Eric and Leah's where we enjoyed good food, games and conversation as always. Here's a video of my first time opening a champagne bottle. Yes I know, we don't get out much therefore it doesn't take much :)

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Midwest LifeShots Photography said...

That could be the longest blog entry ever! Good job baby.

Anonymous said...

I have a question about the champagne opening. Didn't you work at "The Macaroni Grill?" Did they not have champagne there? As a melting pot server I open champagne roughly once every other week.

On an unrelated note, I too open champagne around new years and I made sure to do it outside, it made it across the street, it was awesome.