What is Jen doing right now? She...

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Book Review: In Defense of Food

I actually read and finished this book a month or two ago but it was so fast I didn't even get a chance to put it in my "Currently Reading" section of my blog. I really liked this book and reviewed it on Amazon so figured I'd just copy and paste it onto my blog.

Is what you're eating actually food? Think about the long list of ingredients you now see in some of your favorite snack foods. We are getting further and further away from eating healthy even though most companies are stamping their products with health claims. Getting Vitamin E that has been infused into Whole Grain White Bread is not the same as getting Vitamin E from its natural source (almonds, olive oil and avocado for example). This book teaches you how to shop and avoid "food" items that your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize. This book also encourages you to find a way to start eating locally and introduced the term CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) to me. You can go to http://www.localharvest.com/ to find CSA's near you.
There's a documentary I really liked that explains more about CSA's too called The Real Dirt on Farmer John. Click here for my review.

Makes you start to wonder if the reason people get life-threatening illnesses and are overweight are not only because of the bad foods they eat but the good foods they're not eating. I'm of course not saying this is the cause of all diseases, not even close. But I do think that we don't take advantage of what was naturally given to us to help fight off diseases.
As many of you know, I'm a Weight Watchers leader and although Weight Watchers definitely promotes these healthy guidelines I'm starting to see many people eating "substitution foods" instead of real food to lose weight (they'll eat fiber-enhanced bread or Splenda-sweetened anything before choosing fruits or vegetables). I'm guilty of this too but now am intrigued by this new (yet old-fashioned) idea of eating and purchasing real food God gave us. It may cost more but I'm thinking it's worth it in the long run.

Although it's almost impossible to avoid everything that's not 100% natural, I've definitely been making several changes. I've switched from "light" breads and english muffins to 100% whole wheat (watch out for the 100% whole wheat breads out there...several aren't), I'm starting to eat more fruits and vegetables and have decided to have whole wheat pasta and brown rice almost all of the time now. Plus I'm starting to buy more bulk food from the local Good Food Store (like wheat flour and steel cut oats).

I know this may make me sound like a hippy but I don't care...change is good, this book gets an A!

5 comments:

Robin One Photography said...

i love hippies! you are so right on with this. i really appreciated this review. just another reminder on how we so often fail when we reach the check out counter at the grocery store. the good food store is very awesome! i like the dried cranberries. great snack!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robin One Photography said...

check out dumuro's comment. i think it is another spammer on your site.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Placa de VĂ­deo, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://placa-de-video.blogspot.com. A hug.