What is Jen doing right now? She...

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Breastfeeding Woes

Ever since I thought about having kids I thought without a doubt I would breastfeed and that I would have no problems whatsoever. In fact when people told me they had problems I used to think "oh you just didn't try hard enough, you must not have really wanted to do it." I even went through the breastfeeding class ignoring anything that had to do with formula because I knew I would just be breastfeeding. Well, I was in for a surprise!! For some reason I just don't produce as much as I thought I would which left Emily hungry for more. So from early on I started supplementing (as recommended by the doctor and lactation consultant even though I was not thrilled about this) and I was supposed to supplement until she started gaining weight. So those first few weeks I was making several trips to the lactation consultant. I wanted so badly to be able to have enough milk for her but it just wasn't happening! So now I am still supplementing with formula but also give her breast milk too. I'm not giving up!! There are advantages and disadvantages to using formula:

Advantages
1. You know exactly how much food she's getting
2. Dad (and anyone else) can feed her too
3. It's much more convenient in public
4. Formula keeps babies satisfied longer (helps with sleeping through the night)

Disdvantages
1. It costs money...LOTS of money!
2. Not the best nutritionally for her
3. Not as much mother/child bonding
4. When going between breast and bottle there's a chance for nipple confusion

I'm very thankful that she didn't have any nipple confusion and takes both bottle and breast very well. Overall this experience has been bittersweet to be honest. I've of course enjoyed the advantages and not enjoyed the disadvantages but you have to do what you have to do.

1 comment:

AJ said...

Jen! You need to make lactation cookies. They really helped my production. Maybe they'd work for you?!? The recipe is in my blog, or google it, or look on www.epicurian.com or something like that.