What is Jen doing right now? She...

Friday, December 14, 2007

BLS

BLS stands for Basic Leader Skills. A few months ago I blogged about possibly becoming a Weight Watchers leader. I've been a receptionist for about a year now and the leader I work with decided that she needs to spend more time at home with her kids to help them with homework. So in the meantime we needed to find a leader for the Stewartville meeting that we worked at. Well none of the leaders in the area could pick up another meeting on that particular night. So with much support from both Sandy (the leader) and the WW members who attend that meeting, I decided to go ahead with it. A member (Nancy) who had just become a Lifetime member for WW expressed interest in working for WW so she quickly became the receptionist to take my spot. (You have to be a Lifetime member, which means you go through the program, reach your goal and maintain for 6 weeks, in order to be an employee for WW)

In order to become a leader you need to go to BLS for training. This is a long weekend of intense training and preparation. I went to this training two weekends ago at The Hilton in Eagan, MN. All I can say is wow! This was such a wonderful yet intense weekend it's hard to put it into words. The entire weekend was just filled with lessons on how to communicate with the members, how to help them, listen to them, encourage them etc. Also the basics on how to facilitate a meeting.

Let me just say this. In high school I was very involved in speech team, drama all that stuff so the "getting up in front of people" part wasn't much of an issue for me. And even watching the leaders I would always think to myself "yeah that seems pretty easy and fun" Well let me just say that I have a whole new appreciation and awe for these leaders. There is a lot more to it than you think. You're not just up there as a lecturer...you're up there facilitating a meeting. There's a big difference. The idea is to get all the to members communicate with each other and be an active part of the meeting. It's important to keep the focus on them and not on you as the leader.

There were so many wonderful and supportive people at BLS...it felt like a church retreat or something. We're all so revved up and ready to take on this new avenue in our life, it's so great to be able to experience this with others and make a difference.

Our Trainers


The New Leaders (some of us are hard to see...you can see my pink left shoulder and half my face towards the right of the group)


Keep in mind EVERYONE you see in the pictures above are all success stories!

After BLS we need to do 4 mentoring sessions before becoming the official leader. Last night was my 4th mentoring session which means it was pretty much my first meeting because my mentor just sat back and critiqued. Well, I think it went really well. It's a little easier being in front of everyone than it was during training. It's weird being at the front of the room though... but I'll get used to it. I remember it was weird to be in the back of the room as a receptionist at first too.

I was talking with my mom earlier today and she said to me, "you know why it's easier once you're in front of everyone and have a meeting going? Because you believe in what you're 'selling'" That's so true! I believe in WW 110%! It's a program that works (if you work at it too of course). But all of the tools for living and little lessons you learn actually bleed out into every part of your life and it can improve your entire life not just weight-related issues. If I've said it once I've said it a million times: it's a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Believe me, if I can do this, anyone can. I know a lot of people say that but I put off coming out of the womb I procrastinate so much :) I've so enjoyed being a part of WW as a member but love it even more as an employee!

A sincere thanks to all at BLS for a wonderful and life-changing weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen - and THANK YOU for this posting!! I just googled "BLS" after my WWs mentor emailed me ato say that after my Recpetionist training session this Saturday we could also talk a little about BLS. I figured it had something to do w/ Leadership Training,but wanted to make sure. So, I googled, and again, THANK YOU. I feel as if the Leadership role is much more suitable for me (and I for it) now that I have some insight - and it's obvious how much you really enjoy it. I'm down here in Houston, TX (my hometown). Joined WWs right after 911 (coincidence), and am now on my 3rd - and LAST by golly! - round of 'changing my lifestyle of eating'. I wasn't too much overweight, but it is incredible how much better I feel w/ just even 10 lbs gone - my goal is another 10 (again). I am an entertainer and it makes a HUGE difference in my energy!

Anyway, I am thankful to have been 'lead' to your blog about BLS. Now, I can't wait to become a Leader for WWs!!

CHEERS!

Kindest regards,
Glay Marie Posch
www.glaymarieposch.com